Windows 2 error

Dear Jalview community,

I am trying to download the Jalview software onto my Windows 8.1 Laptop, which is a Surface Pro 3. Unfortunately, I am unable complete the installation process due to a prompt that indicates the error message “Windows error 2 occured while loading the Java VM”. My Java is up to date, I have spoken with IT to no avail, I have also tried downloading both software packages that come with and without Java VM. For further information, I am able to run the Jalview Desktop application successfully. I would very much like to use this program and download the full software package, any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Gary Jones

Hello Gary,

A similar problem was reported by a Windows 7 user and this workaround proposed:

http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/pipermail/jalview-discuss/2015-January/001114.html

Could you give that a try and let us know if it works for you?

Thanks,

Mungo

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096

···

Mungo Carstairs
Jalview Computational Scientist
The Barton Group
Division of Computational Biology
School of Life Sciences
University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, UK.
www.jalview.org
www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk

From: jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org on behalf of tardis1103@gmail.com tardis1103@gmail.com
Sent: 17 September 2015 22:51
To: jalview-discuss@jalview.org
Subject: [Jalview-discuss] Windows 2 error

Dear Jalview community,

I am trying to download the Jalview software onto my Windows 8.1 Laptop, which is a Surface Pro 3. Unfortunately, I am unable complete the installation process due to a prompt that indicates the error message “Windows error 2 occured while loading the Java VM”. My Java is up to date, I have spoken with IT to no avail, I have also tried downloading both software packages that come with and without Java VM. For further information, I am able to run the Jalview Desktop application successfully. I would very much like to use this program and download the full software package, any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Gary Jones

Hi all,
I had the exact same problem (laptop under win 8.1 64bits) with the latest java installed (java 8 v60). I uninstalled both java installation (32, 64bits), then installed the jalview with VM, the nreinstalled both Java version and jalview is working again...
A bit painful but at least it works...
best regards,
Jean

Dr Jean Muller, PhD, MCU-PH

Laboratoire Diagnostic Génétique (HUS)
Laboratoire de Génétique Médicale (UMR_S U1112)

Mobile: +33 6 27 12 54 57
http://www.lbgi.fr/~jmuller/

···

----------------------------------------------------------

Hi Gary,

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem, thanks for the update and diagnosis.

We will see if we can find a way to avoid similar problems in future.

Best regards,

Mungo

···

Mungo Carstairs
The Barton Group
School of Life Sciences
www.jalview.org
www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk

Sent: 18 September 2015 13:30
To: Mungo Carstairs (Staff)
Subject: Re: [Jalview-discuss] Windows 2 error

Dear Mungo,

I have been able to resolve the issue. However, the aforementioned remedies did not help. In my experience the 90 Mb version fails to install the Java VM because it detects the software in my computer. While the 30 Mb version also has issues because it is unable to locate the Java on my computer.

To remedy the situation I finally uninstalled all of my Java and installed the 90 Mb software package, then reinstalled Java I just uninstalled because there were issues with other programs.

In short, 1. uninstall Java 2. Download the software package that comes with Java 3. if there are problems with other software because of this then re-download Java independently of the software.

Sincerely,
Gary Jones

Sent from Surface

Sent: ‎Friday‎, ‎September‎ ‎18‎, ‎2015 ‎4‎:‎12‎ ‎AM
To: tardis1103@gmail.com, jalview-discuss@jalview.org

Hello Gary,

A similar problem was reported by a Windows 7 user and this workaround proposed:

http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/pipermail/jalview-discuss/2015-January/001114.html

Could you give that a try and let us know if it works for you?

Thanks,

Mungo

Mungo Carstairs
The Barton Group
School of Life Sciences
www.jalview.org
www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk

From: jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org on behalf of tardis1103@gmail.com tardis1103@gmail.com
Sent: 17 September 2015 22:51
To: jalview-discuss@jalview.org
Subject: [Jalview-discuss] Windows 2 error

Dear Jalview community,

Sincerely,
Gary Jones