Varna snapshot compatibility

Thanks for getting back to us, Yann.

I'm unstacking my emails (was in deadline mode for the past couple of days), so my apologies for redundancies...
Sadly, the way we coded " Session export" is quick and dirty (serialization), and we couldn't maintain upward compatibility.

ah - that's what I thought. So its going to be important to preserve the version of VARNA used to create a particular snapshot.

Actually, if you guys have any experience/advice with this, I would be very much interested...

is there any way around this ? It would be really good if you could suggest a way of saving a VARNA annotated view so it will be compatible with future VARNA versions. Otherwise, we won't be able to store VARNA displays properly within Jalview projects, since they are always intended to be forwards-compatible (ie later versions of Jalview will always support projects from older versions).

I see, actually the best way would be to define a custom XML format for the full model (panel config+RNA), but I sadly cannot guarantee that anytime soon, as it needs to be done carefully, and I am a bit "underwater" at the moment.

know that feeling.

Of course, if anyone is willing to help with that, I can add him to the contributors of VARNA :wink:

Good point - I'll try and mention it to everyone I meet at BOSC & ISMB this year :slight_smile:
Meanwhile, Jan, Peter, and I will put our heads together to think of a stopgap for the purposes of Jan's project. Off the top of my head, there are two possibilities:

1. Use some standard export format that preserves most of the annotation.
2. Use VARNA's existing API methods for retrieving the visual attributes of the layout to populate an XML document, that can be used to reinstate the visualisation along with any buried annotation.

I've no idea if there is a standard export format for annotated RNA secondary structures that will hold all of the attributes that VARNA can control (text labels, box selections, sugar edges, colours, and more ?). If there is, but VARNA doesn't support its import/export then we are already into situation #2 - populating some new file format with the state of a VARNA view.

Does anyone else have any ideas about this ? (e.g., does rnaML provide the storage features we want ? and is it worth building an import/export class for this format that works with VARNA and Jalview ?).

Jim.

···

On 04/07/2011 09:59, Yann Ponty wrote:

Good point - I'll try and mention it to everyone I meet at BOSC& ISMB
this year :slight_smile:
Meanwhile, Jan, Peter, and I will put our heads together to think of a
stopgap for the purposes of Jan's project. Off the top of my head, there
are two possibilities:

1. Use some standard export format that preserves most of the annotation.
2. Use VARNA's existing API methods for retrieving the visual attributes
of the layout to populate an XML document, that can be used to reinstate
the visualisation along with any buried annotation.

I've no idea if there is a standard export format for annotated RNA
secondary structures that will hold all of the attributes that VARNA can
control (text labels, box selections, sugar edges, colours, and more ?).
If there is, but VARNA doesn't support its import/export then we are
already into situation #2 - populating some new file format with the
state of a VARNA view.

Right now, VARNA does not export much, just the structure (btw RNAML is not
supported as output, and cannot say anything about color preferences in VARNA...),
so we are in situation #2, and it seems kinda strange (+unfair to you guys) to do that
within your wrapper...

Actually, what prevents me from implementing this feature is the huge number of
fields to include in an ideal export format, but if we can agree on a reasonable a subset
fields, then I can come up with a 0.1b version of an XML format that will:
1) Suit your needs
2) Take reasonable to implement
3) Ensure upward compatibility
Sounds right?

Best,

Yann

···

--
Yann Ponty (mailto:yann.ponty@lix.polytechnique.fr)
CNRS junior research scientist-INRIA associate (AMIB team)
http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/~ponty/
Laboratoire d'Informatique de l'Ecole Polytechnique (LIX)
Bioinformatics team
Tel: +33.1.69.33.41.12 fax: ++33.1.69.33.40.49
Address: LIX (L0), room 412-7
Ecole Polytechnique, 91128 Palaiseau,FRANCE