Uniprot sequence fetcher rant

Dear folks,

The new style Uniprot sequence fetcher is the most frustrating UI component in Jalview. I am entering an accession number, I turn away for a fraction to not ehte next few characters, turn back and Jalview has already gone searching so as I type without looking at the entry box I am now searching for something completely different.

And if I want to retrieve a list it becomes even more painful.

Is there a way to turn off the ‘search as I type’ and go back to the paradigm of enter then search? It is verging on becoming as frustrating as using Visual Basic.

…d

Email signature

···

University of Dundee shield logo

Dr David M A Martin PhD FHEA FRSB
Senior Lecturer in Bioinformatics
School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee
+44(0)1382 388704 | d.m.a.martin@dundee.ac.uk

University of Dundee FacebookUniversity of Dundee TwitterUniversity of Dundee LinkedInUniversity of Dundee YouTubeUniversity of Dundee InstagramUniversity of Dundee Snapchat

We’re Scottish University of the Year again!
The Times / Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016 and 2017

Dear frustrated :wink:

The new style Uniprot sequence fetcher is the most frustrating UI component in Jalview. I am entering an accession number, I turn away for a fraction to not ehte next few characters, turn back and Jalview has already gone searching so as I type without looking at the entry box I am now searching for something completely different.

And if I want to retrieve a list it becomes even more painful.

This is indeed a major drawback.

Is there a way to turn off the ‘search as I type’ and go back to the paradigm of enter then search?

That should be quite possible. We’ll see what we can do (https://issues.jalview.org/browse/JAL-2804) - I’ve also been toying with the idea of reinstating the batch ID retrieval field, since thats easier to use than the current FTS dialog when cutting and pasting in a large number of IDs with varying separator characters.

It is verging on becoming as frustrating as using Visual Basic.

You’ll note I’ve marked JAL-2804 as critical. No one needs to be that frustrated !

More soon…
Jim.

···

On 27/10/2017 14:06, David Martin (Staff) wrote: