Spanish Translation

Hi all,

I’m glad to announce that Spanish translation is ready and commited at release_2_8_2 branch.

Anyway, I’m not an advanced Jalview user so I’d appreciate if other Spanish speaking user review my translations to check if they says what it is supposed to say. Context is very important in translations and high technical translations are very difficult because of that. Thus, double checking can’t be bad. If there is any volunteer, please, send me a private mail and let’s see how to get coordinated so that relase deadline can be acomplished.

Happy to see Jalview speaking Spanish! :slight_smile:

Cheers,

David

thanks David - it would have been better if you pushed these to the 2_8_2_i18n branch, just so we can keep you fed with new GUI elements to translate by merging from the 2_8_2 release branch ! No matter…

j.

···

On 10/10/2014 12:41, David Roldán Martínez wrote:

Suggestion:

Should we keep the contents of the Messages_x.properties sorted in alphabetical order?

This would make it much easier to compare versions, avoid duplicates etc.

Any drawback?

Mungo

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096

···

From: jalview-dev-bounces@jalview.org jalview-dev-bounces@jalview.org on behalf of Jim Procter jprocter@compbio.dundee.ac.uk
Sent: 10 October 2014 14:06
To: Jalview Development List
Subject: Re: [Jalview-dev] Spanish Translation

thanks David - it would have been better if you pushed these to the 2_8_2_i18n branch, just so we can keep you fed with new GUI elements to translate by merging from the 2_8_2 release branch ! No matter…

j.

Hi all,

I’m glad to announce that Spanish translation is ready and commited at release_2_8_2 branch.

Anyway, I’m not an advanced Jalview user so I’d appreciate if other Spanish speaking user review my translations to check if they says what it is supposed to say. Context is very important in translations and high technical translations are very difficult because of that. Thus, double checking can’t be bad. If there is any volunteer, please, send me a private mail and let’s see how to get coordinated so that relase deadline can be acomplished.

Cheers,

David

ups. I can merge it there, if needed

···

El 10/10/2014 15:06, “Jim Procter” <jprocter@compbio.dundee.ac.uk> escribió:

j.

Hi all,

Cheers,

David

Jalview-dev mailing list
Jalview-dev@jalview.org
http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/jalview-dev

Can it be done automatically ? (ie as a formatting process ?) Otherwise its a PITA since conflicts will happen.

J.

J. B. Procter. Jalview coordinator.
Barton group. College of life sciences.
University of Dundee.

···

From: jalview-dev-bounces@jalview.org jalview-dev-bounces@jalview.org on behalf of Jim Procter jprocter@compbio.dundee.ac.uk

j.

Hi all,

Cheers,

David

Hi all,
The problem with alphabetical order is that potential merging conflicts may arise, as Jim suggest. However, I agree with Mungo: it’s a simple way to find new keys when comparing files.
I would suggest to always add new keys at the end of English file and procced with new issues needing message display at follows.
Suppose there is issue, JAL-XYZ, that needs to show message ABC to the user. In the fix, we must include at the end of Messages.properties the line:
label.a_b_c = ABC
and also the involved code.
Before to release a new Jalview version, and once features have been frozen, I would open a new issue with the transalation and localization component named “ translation for Jalview release N.M.P” and the review Messages_XX.properties related with . If new keys are at the end of the file adding them to the language bundle should be quite straightforward. Anyway, a Java app comparing languge bundles with English file to check which keys are missing it is also easy to do. I can do it and include it under a new package at source (how about src/tools/i18n?).
Cheers,
David

···

El 10/10/2014 16:57, “James Procter” <J.Procter@dundee.ac.uk> escribió:

Can it be done automatically ? (ie as a formatting process ?) Otherwise its a PITA since conflicts will happen.

J.

University of Dundee.

----- Reply message -----
Date: Fri, Oct 10, 2014 15:34
Subject: [Jalview-dev] Spanish Translation
To: “Jalview Development List” <jalview-dev@jalview.org>

Suggestion:

Should we keep the contents of the Messages_x.properties sorted in alphabetical order?

Any drawback?

Mungo

From: jalview-dev-bounces@jalview.org <jalview-dev-bounces@jalview.org> on behalf of Jim Procter <jprocter@compbio.dundee.ac.uk>

j.

Hi all,

Cheers,

David

Jalview-dev mailing list
Jalview-dev@jalview.org

Your strategy would work if we had a coherent ‘freeze’ – but I’m more in favour of a continuous testing/release cycle, which tends to suit research software better. Currently it takes a long time for patches and new features to make it on to the stable version on the web site and I very much want to eradicate delays. That means that translation needs to be a continuous process (and why it’s good to be pushing those commits to a separate branch).

An automated report would be very useful (we’ve talked about this before !), so if there isn’t an issue for this already, we should create one. As for location – the tool’s source must live under ‘utils’ (where all the other build & maintenance utilities live) – NOT src – since we don’t want (or need) the report tool to be in the runtime classpath for the program.

j.

···

From: jalview-dev-bounces@jalview.org [mailto:jalview-dev-bounces@jalview.org] On Behalf Of David Roldán Martínez
Sent: 10 October 2014 19:05

Hi all,
The problem with alphabetical order is that potential merging conflicts may arise, as Jim suggest. However, I agree with Mungo: it’s a simple way to find new keys when comparing files.
I would suggest to always add new keys at the end of English file and procced with new issues needing message display at follows.
Suppose there is issue, JAL-XYZ, that needs to show message ABC to the user. In the fix, we must include at the end of Messages.properties the line:
label.a_b_c = ABC
Before to release a new Jalview version, and once features have been frozen, I would open a new issue with the transalation and localization component named “ translation for Jalview release N.M.P” and the review Messages_XX.properties related with . If new keys are at the end of the file adding them to the language bundle should be quite straightforward. Anyway, a Java app comparing languge bundles with English file to check which keys are missing it is also easy to do. I can do it and include it under a new package at source (how about src/tools/i18n?).
Cheers,
David

J.

University of Dundee.

Suggestion:

Any drawback?

Mungo

From: jalview-dev-bounces@jalview.org <jalview-dev-bounces@jalview.org> on behalf of Jim Procter <jprocter@compbio.dundee.ac.uk>

j.

Hi all,

Cheers,

David

Jalview-dev mailing list
Jalview-dev@jalview.org

Anyway, having a clear and documented (at wiki?) workflow of to manage an issue since its creation until its fix is important to accelerate new features incorporation.
As to i18n, I still think that it’s better to keep issues separated or, at least, in the same issue (easier to manage than two) but in different commits (easier to merge). How about this approximation?
I’ll review my i18n app we talked about some time ago so that it will generate a report containing the differences in keys between English and other languages bundle. As you suggested, it would be very useful also a report saying whick keys should be removed from language files because they aren’t used anymore. However, I hadn’t been able to make a grep in Java. :frowning: I’ll take a look once again.
Cheers,
David

···

El 11/10/2014 13:35, “James Procter” <J.Procter@dundee.ac.uk> escribió:

Your strategy would work if we had a coherent ‘freeze’ – but I’m more in favour of a continuous testing/release cycle, which tends to suit research software better. Currently it takes a long time for patches and new features to make it on to the stable version on the web site and I very much want to eradicate delays. That means that translation needs to be a continuous process (and why it’s good to be pushing those commits to a separate branch).

An automated report would be very useful (we’ve talked about this before !), so if there isn’t an issue for this already, we should create one. As for location – the tool’s source must live under ‘utils’ (where all the other build & maintenance utilities live) – NOT src – since we don’t want (or need) the report tool to be in the runtime classpath for the program.

j.

From: jalview-dev-bounces@jalview.org [mailto:jalview-dev-bounces@jalview.org] On Behalf Of David Roldán Martínez
Sent: 10 October 2014 19:05

Hi all,
label.a_b_c = ABC
Cheers,
David

J.

University of Dundee.

Suggestion:

Any drawback?

Mungo

j.

Hi all,

Cheers,

David

Jalview-dev mailing list
Jalview-dev@jalview.org

Jalview-dev mailing list
Jalview-dev@jalview.org