numbering

I would like the numbering across the top of the alignment to start at other than 1. I'd like the first residue of the top sequence to be 6, for instance.
How to do it?

2nd question, I would like the numbering to follow the number of residues of the top sequence. not assigning numbers to gaps.

Or are these items I should change in Illustrator?
Mac OS 10.4.11, Firefox, latest java

thanks,

Dave

···

--
David N. Garboczi, PhD
Phone: 301-496-4773
Investigator, Structural Biology Section (SBS)
Laboratory of Immunogenetics (LIG)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Twinbrook 2/Room 110
12441 Parklawn Drive
Rockville, Maryland 20852-1742
Fax: 301-402-0284
Email: dgarboczi@niaid.nih.gov

The information in this e-mail and any of its attachments is
confidential and may contain sensitive information. It should not be
used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have
received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it
from your mailbox or any other storage devices. The National Institute
of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) shall not accept liability
for any statement made that are the sender's own and not expressly made
on behalf of the NIAID by one of its representatives.

Hi Dave.

David Garboczi wrote:

I would like the numbering across the top of the alignment to start at other than 1. I'd like the first residue of the top sequence to be 6, for instance.
How to do it?

2nd question, I would like the numbering to follow the number of residues of the top sequence. not assigning numbers to gaps.

These questions sound like much the same thing. Basically, you'd like to be able to pick what coordinate system is used for the alignment ruler - alignment columns, or the positions w.r.t.one of the aligned sequences.

for the moment, yes. I can see that this would be a very useful thing to be able to do - but there isn't any way to do this in Jalview as it stands. I also know how much of a pain it will be making these changes by hand in illustrator.

sorry.
Jim.

Although you can't do this in Jalview, you can do it in ALSCRIPT. However, ALSCRIPT takes a lot more learning than Jalview - it is a command-driven program rather than graphical point-and-click. It may be easier for a one-off alignment just to modify a .ps file in Illustrator.

Geoff.

···

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, Jim Procter wrote:

Hi Dave.

David Garboczi wrote:

How to do it?

These questions sound like much the same thing. Basically, you'd like to be able to pick what coordinate system is used for the alignment ruler - alignment columns, or the positions w.r.t.one of the aligned sequences.

for the moment, yes. I can see that this would be a very useful thing to be able to do - but there isn't any way to do this in Jalview as it stands. I also know how much of a pain it will be making these changes by hand in illustrator.

sorry.
Jim.

--
Geoff Barton, Professor of Bioinformatics, School of Life Sciences
University of Dundee, Scotland, UK. geoff@compbio.dundee.ac.uk
Tel:+44 1382 385860/388731 (Fax:385764) www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk