(no subject)

Dear Jalviewers
I would like to know if it is possible to add a user-designed font to Jalview.

Kind regards

James RF Sutton
BSc, PhD.

···

Charity Awareness Message

Isnt it time you registered with Anthony Nolan?

You don’t have to die before you can register to donate bone marrow, which should you ever be found to be a random match could help save a childs life of leukaemia. All we ask is for more young donors to replace the ageing ones already registered; should you be that pine-needle-in-a-haystack, donation is a fairly harmless procedure.
Why not register today and increase the chance of finding a match for a sick child

Please see the organisations website for full details:
http://www.anthonynolan.org/

This email is private and confidential and is for the addressee only. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and notify me immediately. Information regarding Anthony Nolan is my personal effort, is not endorsed by the charity and may not represent the views of the Anthony Nolan Organisation. Should any information in this email not make full sense to you, or should you be shocked, angered or upset in any way by the content of this email then I request that you kindly either call me or email me and request that I return your call, which I will do so at the earliest possible mutually convenient time-slot. Any other negative or even positive feedback is naturally most welcome as part of my continual search for excellence.

If the font is installed on your system, then Jalview should show it in the ‘Fonts’ menu. You can also set a default font in the ‘Visual’ tab in the user preferences.

There are a couple of caveats with user defined fonts:

1. Jalview won’t save the font with the jalview project - so if you share a project file that specifies your custom font then any one who imports the project needs to have the font installed on their system. I have a suspicion Jalview will not gracefully degrade should the font not be available. NB - if you export alignments as EPS lineart from Jalview then you’ll have no problems with the custom font.

2. If the font has complex layout metrics then it almost certainly won’t work with Jalview’s rendering/layout engine. See http://issues.jalview.org/browse/JAL-1279 for the situation I’m thinking about.

I hope that helps ! I’m also curious as to what you’re thinking about doing with a user-defined font :slight_smile:
Jim

···

On 30/10/2014 14:51, James Sutton wrote: