Loading annotations

Hi All,

I wish to use an annotation file to decorate my alignment. I created a dummy file (below) and used File->Load Features/Annotations. The file is called features.txt.

I am greated with an error box saying that jalview,
“Couldn’t load file /tmp/features.txt
Formats currently supported are
Fasta, MSF, Clustal, BLC, PIR, MSP and Pfam”

Can someone enlighten me as to how I can load in my file? The alignment is displayed when I try this.

many thanks
-james

less features.txt
tash red

tash_domain Tp_2992.1 -1 263 281 tash

Hi,

I am using Jalview 2.3 (though the about option says 6.1). I do the same thing. I load a .aln file (from clustalw) then from the alignment window in Jalview I choose Load Features/Annotations and it works. An example of the beginning of a features file (which I create automatically in a Java program):

dpa1 111111
d1gv1a1_O d1gv1a1 -1 6 6 dpa1

The main difference I see in my file versus yours (at least as included in the email) is that I used tabs and your snippet appears to have spaces between columns.
Note: I use the numeric designation of a color so that I can get gradations of the same color.

Judith

···

On Apr 25, 2008, at 12:09 PM, James Wasmuth wrote:

Hi All,

I wish to use an annotation file to decorate my alignment. I created a dummy file (below) and used File->Load Features/Annotations. The file is called features.txt.

Can someone enlighten me as to how I can load in my file? The alignment is displayed when I try this.

many thanks
-james

less features.txt
tash red

Jalview-discuss mailing list
Jalview-discuss@jalview.org
http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/jalview-discuss

Judith Cohn, Ph.D.
Information Science (CCS-3)
Mail Stop B256
Los Alamos National Lab
Los Alamos, NM 87545
phone: 505-665-0999
email: jcohn@lanl.gov

Thanks Judith.

there was a space in the first line instead of a space . Fixed that and it works!

-james

···

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Judith Cohn <jcohn@lanl.gov> wrote:

Hi,

I am using Jalview 2.3 (though the about option says 6.1). I do the same thing. I load a .aln file (from clustalw) then from the alignment window in Jalview I choose Load Features/Annotations and it works. An example of the beginning of a features file (which I create automatically in a Java program):

dpa1 111111
d1gv1a1_O d1gv1a1 -1 6 6 dpa1

The main difference I see in my file versus yours (at least as included in the email) is that I used tabs and your snippet appears to have spaces between columns.
Note: I use the numeric designation of a color so that I can get gradations of the same color.

Judith

On Apr 25, 2008, at 12:09 PM, James Wasmuth wrote:

Hi All,

many thanks
-james

less features.txt
tash red

Jalview-discuss mailing list
Jalview-discuss@jalview.org
http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/jalview-discuss

Judith Cohn, Ph.D.
Information Science (CCS-3)
Mail Stop B256
Los Alamos National Lab