help on jalview

Hi,

I have a few questions about the software,

Is Jalview a server app based on Oracle Java?

Does Jalview installer include Java?

About OpenJDK on Windows:

• Which distribution of openJDK does Jalview support?

Best regards,

Seppo

Hi Seppo,

Thanks for the questions, please see some answers below.

Hi,

I have a few questions about the software,

Is Jalview a server app based on Oracle Java?

Jalview is a desktop application, which in the past has been compiled with Oracle Java, but the latest release and future versions are compiled and tested with OpenJDK. There are some web services that can be accessed through the application but Jalview itself and most of its features run on the desktop.

Does Jalview installer include Java?

As of the latest release (Jalview 2.11.0), the macOS and Windows Jalview installers do include Java (JRE) within the Jalview application. The 2.11.0 linux/unix installer does not include a JRE, so you would need to have a system or user installation of Java 1.8 JRE for Jalview to run in linux/unix.

About OpenJDK on Windows:

• Which distribution of openJDK does Jalview support?

As the latest release of Jalview on Windows includes its own bundled JRE, there shouldn’t be a problem with Java version support as no other Java installation is used/necessary. The JRE that gets bundled with Jalview 2.11.0 for Windows is the AdoptOpenJDK 1.8.0_202 (for amd64 architecture).

It is possible to run Jalview with a Java 11 JRE and we will be switching to bundling an AdoptOpenJDK 11 JRE in a future version. Let us know if this is something you need to do now. There is also an “executable .jar” distribution of Jalview 2.11.0 which will run on CPU architectures our installers don’t support yet (e.g. ARM) if you have a Java 1.8 compatible JRE.

Best regards,

Seppo

I hope this has answered your questions – let me know if there’s anything else you’d like to know, or if you need any other help with installing Jalview.

Best wishes,

Ben

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096

···

On 11 Dec 2019, at 07:45, SE H <tiedustelupalvelut@gmail.com> wrote: