[File with broken horizontal scrolling]

Hi Andrew, and Joel.

I was stumped too but I did find another workaround. Re the problem - I stepped through the code - including the Swing runtime stuff! - and as far as I can tell, the repaint method never gets called when the hscroll bar is changed - because the fastPaint flag is always true. Checking back, it looks like I didn't break anything related to this, which was my first thought, but there were a lot of tiny things that were broken in the 2.5.0 release, and they could have conceivably meant that the width/height attributes were set wrong in the XML. I guess that if anyone else has this problem, then that'll tell us if there is something truly broken or not.

And now to the workaround, There's also an even easier workaround than the one Andrew suggests to get the file working right again: What I did was simply import the file into jalview 2.5.1, and save it immediately as a new project. This new project seems to scroll fine when its loaded in again, so I guess the viewport height and width are being reset correctly. Still, this is pretty annoying !

Jim.

ยทยทยท

On 13/07/2010 22:40, Andrew Waterhouse wrote:

Hi Jim,

Did you get that email?

Our mail server wont let me send .jar files, but you get the picture. Edit the xml height and width of the viewport, then jar it up and the alignment works no problem.

Andrew

Andrew Waterhouse wrote:

Hi Jim,

Im still getting the Jalview emails, no problem, but I was intrigued by this file, as it throws no errors and all seems to work fine - just no repainting.

Havent looked at the code at all, but its to do with the saved width and height of the window. Just change these in the XML, and all works fine, as in the attached file.

Can you work out why its not repainting?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject:
[Jalview-discuss] File with broken horizontal scrolling
Joel Guenther <guenthej@gmail.com>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:52:32 -0700
To:
jalview-discuss@jalview.org

To:
jalview-discuss@jalview.org

Hi there.

So, clearly this is a very minor issue, but I have a file for which the horizontal scroll bar does not work correctly, and I thought you might be curious to see it. Dragging the slider does not update the contents of the window until I click in it with the pointer.

The file was made using Jalview 2.5.0 and worked correctly with that version.

Here's my setup info:

Mac OS 10.6.4
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02-279-10M3065)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01-279, mixed mode)

Jalview 2.5.1

Thanks for your continued support of Jalview!

-Joel

=================================================
Joel M. Guenther
PhD Candidate, Department of Chemistry
Kuriyan Laboratory
http://jkweb.berkeley.edu/&gt;/
University of California, Berkeley
176 Stanley Hall, QB3
Berkeley, CA 94720-3220
tel: (510) 643 0166
fax: (510) 643 2352

------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------
J. B. Procter (JALVIEW/ENFIN) Barton Bioinformatics Research Group
Phone/Fax:+44(0)1382 388734/345764 http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk
The University of Dundee is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC015096.