Can't stop long-running tree calculation

Hi all,

I can’t seem to kill a long-running tree calculation. If I close the tree window with “calculating tree…” in it, I can see the Jalview process is still at 100% CPU. Is there anyway do stop it without shutting down jalview?

Best,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately not - the calculation runs in a separate thread and is not currently designed to be interruptible or cancellable. Your choices are limited to wait for completion, or kill Jalview completely.

Mungo

···

Email signature

University of Dundee shield logo

Mungo Carstairs
Jalview Computational Scientist

The Barton Group
Division of Computational Biology

School of Life Sciences

University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, UK

www.jalview.org

www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk
g.m.carstairs@dundee.ac.uk

University of Dundee FacebookUniversity of Dundee TwitterUniversity of Dundee LinkedInUniversity of Dundee YouTubeUniversity of Dundee InstagramUniversity of Dundee Snapchat
We’re Scottish University of the Year again!
The Times / Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016 and 2017

From: jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org on behalf of Christian Cole (Staff) C.Cole@dundee.ac.uk
Sent: 30 January 2018 12:03:09
To: jalview-discuss@jalview.org
Subject: [Jalview-discuss] Can’t stop long-running tree calculation

Hi all,

I can’t seem to kill a long-running tree calculation. If I close the tree window with “calculating tree…” in it, I can see the Jalview process is still at 100% CPU. Is there anyway do stop it without shutting down jalview?

Best,

Chris

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096

Hi Mungo,

OK, that’s what I thought.

Thanks for the reply.

Chris

Unfortunately not - the calculation runs in a separate thread and is not currently designed to be interruptible or cancellable. Your choices are limited to wait for completion, or kill Jalview completely.

I think we can add this as a feature request for a near future release - calculations shouldn’t continue if their parent window has gone away…

Thanks Chris for letting us know!
Jim.

···

On 30/01/2018 12:49, Mungo Carstairs (Staff) wrote:

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr JB Procter, Jalview Coordinator, The Barton Group
Division of Computational Biology, School of Life Sciences
University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK.
+44 1382 388734 | [www.jalview.org](http://www.jalview.org) | [www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk](http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk)