Can't run jalview on Win7

Hi

I have been trying for some time to get jalview running on my desktop machine which is running Win7 (64-bit), and having no luck. I can run the applet that runs when you do a prediction on the server, but can’t install the stand-alone application. I have tried a number of different versions of Java – from 6.31 upwards to 7 update 9, but always get an exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at java.util.Hashtable.put(Unknown Source)

at java.util.Properties.setProperty(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.System.setProperty(Unknown Source)

at jalview.bin.Cache.loadProperties(Cache.java:278)

at jalview.bin.Jalview.main(Jalview.java:132)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

when I try to run the program. Do you have any more hints as to what I might be doing wrong. Presumably some aspect of my system is misconfigured in some way…

I really would like to get jalview running, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joel

Prof. Joel Mackay

School of Molecular Bioscience

Building G08

Cnr Butlin Ave and Maze Cres.

University of Sydney

NSW 2006

Australia

Ph: +61-2-9351-3906

Fax: +61-2-9351-5858

WWW: http://www.mmb.usyd.edu.au/mackay/

I have been trying for some time to get jalview running on my desktop machine which is running Win7 (64-bit), and having no luck. I can run the applet that runs when you do a prediction on the server, but can’t install the stand-alone application. I have tried a number of different versions of Java – from 6.31 upwards to 7 update 9, but always get an exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at java.util.Hashtable.put(Unknown Source)

at java.util.Properties.setProperty(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.System.setProperty(Unknown Source)

at jalview.bin.Cache.loadProperties(Cache.java:278)

at jalview.bin.Jalview.main(Jalview.java:132)

This error looks very much like a problem that occurs with Jalview 2.7 when a web proxy configuration is enabled, but no proxy port is configured ( http://issues.jalview.org/browse/JAL-1026 ).

You should be able to get Jalview working by deleting the ~/.jalview_properties file from your machine. The easiest way to do this is to open a dos prompt (enter and then run the ‘cmd’ program from the start button’s search box) and type
del %USER_PROFILE%.jalview_properties

Then try to launch Jalview again. I’d actually recommend you try the development release from the http://www.jalview.org/versions.html page, or wait a day to launch v2.8 which we are about to release… this includes some tweaks to make jalview work a bit better on windows 7.

Jim.

···

Hi Joel - sorry to hear your having problems.

On 05/11/2012 09:09, Joel Mackay wrote: