Are there any Beryl users having problems with Jalview

Hello All.

A new FAQ tip is most likely to be added to the website concerning the OpenGL linux desktop that is being shipped with the latest Ubuntu distribution (and others).

The problem is purely to do with Sun's Java not being compatible with Beryl but I was wondering if anyone has found any nice workarounds. I've a couple of approaches involving patching installAnywhere, using alternate linux JVMs, or running a nested Xserver (xnest). Does anyone have any other suggestions ?

cheers for your attention.
Jim

···

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------
J. B. Procter (VAMSAS Project) Barton Bioinformatics Research Group
Phone/Fax:+44(0)1382 388734/345764 http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk

Hi Jim & other Jalviewers,

I’ve found problems with Java apps (including Jalview) on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn using Beryl and the Sun JVM. I haven’t tested with other JVMs.

My simple “workaround” is to use the beryl-manager program to switch to a different window manager (eg metacity) while I am running any graphical Java apps. The switching seems reliable in my hands, just right-click on the little gem icon in the taskbar and select the new window manager. It also works fine even if you do it after you’ve started the Java app. Of course, half the time I don’t remember to switch Beryl back on after I’m finished with Jalview, so I must not miss the eye candy that much :slight_smile:

I can’t remember if beryl-manager runs at login in the default Ubuntu setup, and I’m not sure what the case will be in Gutsy.

Cheers,

Andrew Perry

···

On 10/4/07, Jim Procter <jimp@compbio.dundee.ac.uk> wrote:

The problem is purely to do with Sun’s Java not being compatible with
Beryl but I was wondering if anyone has found any nice workarounds. I’ve
a couple of approaches involving patching installAnywhere, using
alternate linux JVMs, or running a nested Xserver (xnest). Does anyone
have any other suggestions ?

Postdoctoral Researcher, Trevor Lithgow Lab
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Bio21 Molecular Science and Biotechnology Institute
30 Flemington Road, University of Melbourne
Parkville 3010, AUSTRALIA
Ph: +61 3 834442298 || Email: ajperry@unimelb.edu.au

Thanks for this advice, Andrew. There have been a cluster of help requests concerning this, and nearly everyone was using either Ubuntu Feisty.

Andrew Perry wrote:

My simple "workaround" is to use the beryl-manager program to switch to a different window manager (eg metacity) while I am running any graphical Java apps. The switching seems reliable in my hands, just right-click on the little gem icon in the taskbar and select the new window manager. It also works fine even if you do it after you've started the Java app. Of course, half the time I don't remember to switch Beryl back on after I'm finished with Jalview, so I must not miss the eye candy that much :slight_smile:

This is always going to be the best approach. Messing around with alternate JVMs are a pain, although its easy to set up a specific script to launch a program in the alternate jvm. Its also easy to set a script to launch a nested Xserver for the program, but I'm not sure if drag'n'drop will still work then.

I can't remember if beryl-manager runs at login in the default Ubuntu setup, and I'm not sure what the case will be in Gutsy.

I've heard rumours that this will be the case - and wanted to check exactly what options we should be advising anyone to do when this bug occurs.

cheers right back at ya!
Jim