Wrapping sequences to a specific length

Hello,
I have an alignment of 20 sequences and each has around 240 aa residues. I want to wrap them into 3 parts each of 80 aa so as to get a nice output image. Would you help me know if Jalview has such a feature.
Thanks

Thommas

“Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you can,
To all the people you can,
As long as ever you can.”

Hi Thommas,

If you go to the Format menu and check the Wrap option Jalview will wrap the alignment on screen. You can then adjust the window to get the wrapping you like best. To export the alignment in this form, use the Export Image option under the File menu and select EPS.

This will create an Encapsulated PostScript file which you can use Adobe Illustrator to edit, rescale and so on to fit the size of image you want to make. Note that EPS is the best way to do this since it will scale to any size without loss of quality.

Jalview also support PNG output, but that will not be as flexible as EPS I strongly discourage you from using PNG format for alignments!

If you dont have Adobe Illustrator, try Inkscape which is free!

I hope this helps,

Geoff.

···

On 15/07/2013 16:27, MUSYOKA THOMMAS wrote:

-- 
Geoff Barton, Professor of Bioinformatics,  College of Life Sciences
University of Dundee, Scotland, UK.          [g.j.barton@dundee.ac.uk](mailto:g.j.barton@dundee.ac.uk)
Tel:+44 1382 385860/388731 (Fax:385764)     [www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk](http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk)

The University of Dundee is registered Scottish charity: No.SC015096 

That’s great!
Happy Jalviewing!
Geoff.

···

On 15/07/2013 17:32, MUSYOKA THOMMAS wrote:

-- 
Geoff Barton, Professor of Bioinformatics,  College of Life Sciences
University of Dundee, Scotland, UK.          [g.j.barton@dundee.ac.uk](mailto:g.j.barton@dundee.ac.uk)
Tel:+44 1382 385860/388731 (Fax:385764)     [www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk](http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk)

The University of Dundee is registered Scottish charity: No.SC015096