Secondary Structures.

I was wondering if you can use jalview to do a few things with secondary structure. I know there is a feature where I can select my sequence and have jnet give me back the predictions(which is actually not working at the moment for me). I was wondering if you could add other secondary structure predictions or known secondary structure elements to your list as well, like from the pdb heading. I tried this is in the the feature add on with no luck. Can I get back information back from these servers and add it as a sequence? And is using jnet the only ss predictor I can use that could give a graphical output?

Jordan

Hello Jordan - thanks for your email.

Jordan Willis wrote:

I know there is a feature where I can select my sequence and
have jnet give me back the predictions(which is actually not working at the moment for me).

Ah. There was a problem with the JNet web service, which was recently upgraded; this has now been fixed.

I was wondering if you could add other secondary

structure predictions or

There aren't any other secondary structure prediction services available to Jalview at the moment, but this will change in the future.

known secondary structure elements to your list as well, like from the pdb heading.

Jalview doesn't parse the secondary structure from PDB files, but we are open to code contributions from anyone who'd like to implement this.

However, if you want to view secondary structure assignments for structures available in the PDB then you can import them using the sequence fetcher, and then use the DSSP das source to retrieve the secondary structure assignments.

> And is using jnet the only ss predictor I can

use that could give a graphical output?

The JNet server is - as far as we are aware - the only one that creates annotation in a form that Jalview can visualise. However, there is no reason why the output of other servers couldn't be parsed into annotation - the annotations file (http://www.jalview.org/help/html/features/annotationsFormat.html ) can be used to create any number of labels, protein secondary structure symbols, graphs and histograms below the alignment.

'hope this helps!

Jim.

ยทยทยท

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------
J. B. Procter (ENFIN/VAMSAS) Barton Bioinformatics Research Group
Phone/Fax:+44(0)1382 388734/345764 http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk
The University of Dundee is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC015096.