Problems to use Jalview in my Mac OS 10.6.8

Hi,

I am trying to use Jalview in my MacBook Pro from 2010 with Mac OS 10.6.8 version. I have also the version of java 1.6 and still I am having problems I have read that at least you have to have version 1.6 of java. And this is the most updated version that I can install with that version of Mac OS.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks & Regards,
Toni aliaga

​Hello Toni,

Can you describe the problems you are having? How are you trying to launch Jalview, and what errors are you seeing? If Jalview starts, can you capture the contents of the Java Console window (Tools | Show Java Console)?

Thanks,

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096

···

Mungo Carstairs
Jalview Computational Scientist
The Barton Group
Division of Computational Biology
College of Life Sciences
University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, UK.
www.jalview.org
www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk

From: jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org on behalf of Toni Aliaga toali13@gmail.com
Sent: 28 January 2015 11:58
To: jalview-discuss@jalview.org
Subject: [Jalview-discuss] Problems to use Jalview in my Mac OS 10.6.8

Hi,

I am trying to use Jalview in my MacBook Pro from 2010 with Mac OS 10.6.8 version. I have also the version of java 1.6 and still I am having problems I have read that at least you have to have version 1.6 of java. And this is the most updated version that I can install with that version of Mac OS.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks & Regards,
Toni aliaga

Hi Toni,

You seem to be running using Spanish locale, is that right?

I can run up Jalview 2.8.2 with this setting without error, so maybe not the problem.

Your screenshot shows an error ‘Unmatched braces in the pattern’ together with part of the jalview.jnlp file. Can you post (email) this file so we can check for any error in it?

Thanks,

···

Mungo Carstairs
The Barton Group
College of Life Sciences
www.jalview.org
www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk

Sent: 28 January 2015 12:12
To: Mungo Carstairs (Staff)
Subject: Re: [Jalview-discuss] Problems to use Jalview in my Mac OS 10.6.8

Hello Mungo,

I tried several ways but I am trying to launch the ‘launch desktop jalview’. When I open the .jnlp file, a window popup appears saying:

“It was not possible to run the application”

I attach some screenshots just in case it helps.

I also tried to launch the application using the applet but it does not work. It say that it is not possible. However, after several tries I was able to see some of the examples of jalview in the browser but not able to work with it.

Finally I also tried to download the program but when it is unzip it does not work either.

Hope this can help.

Thanks & Regards,
Toni

2015-01-28 13:04 GMT+01:00 Mungo Carstairs (Staff) <g.m.carstairs@dundee.ac.uk>:

​Hello Toni,

Can you describe the problems you are having? How are you trying to launch Jalview, and what errors are you seeing? If Jalview starts, can you capture the contents of the Java Console window (Tools | Show Java Console)?

Thanks,

Mungo Carstairs
The Barton Group
College of Life Sciences
www.jalview.org
www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk

From: jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org <jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org> on behalf of Toni Aliaga <toali13@gmail.com>

Hi,

Can anyone help me?

Thanks & Regards,
Toni aliaga

Hi Toni - we just fired up one of our older Macs, which still runs 10.6.8, and it can launch Jalview, but a modification to the JNLP file is required, since Java 1.6 is no longer an officially supported platform (even though Jalview still runs!).

You can download a modifed JNLP file here:
http://www.jalview.org/builds/latest/webstart/jalview_16.jnlp

Please note - this file will raise a security warning if you try to launch it under a later version of Java, since the java webstart security mechanism changed in 1.7.

Let us know how you get on!
Jim.

···

On 28/01/2015 14:15, Mungo Carstairs (Staff) wrote:

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr JB Procter, Jalview Coordinator, The Barton Group
Division of Computational Biology, College of Life Sciences
University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK.
+44 1382 388734 | [www.jalview.org](http://www.jalview.org) | [www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk](http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk) 
The University of Dundee is registered Scottish charity: No.SC015096

Hi Jim,

First of all I have to say thank you very much for the great and fast help that I received from you.

I have downloaded the JNLP file and now it is working fine.

I am very grateful as I was trying to solve the problem since once month ago and I did not know why I had that issue. I know that I can download a new OS system but I have to check which one is the best for me but in the meanwhile (I need the program right now) I will use that file.

Thanks again and all the best for you,
Toni Aliaga

···

2015-01-28 18:20 GMT+01:00 Jim Procter <jprocter@compbio.dundee.ac.uk>:

Hi Toni - we just fired up one of our older Macs, which still runs 10.6.8, and it can launch Jalview, but a modification to the JNLP file is required, since Java 1.6 is no longer an officially supported platform (even though Jalview still runs!).

You can download a modifed JNLP file here:
http://www.jalview.org/builds/latest/webstart/jalview_16.jnlp

Please note - this file will raise a security warning if you try to launch it under a later version of Java, since the java webstart security mechanism changed in 1.7.

Let us know how you get on!
Jim.

On 28/01/2015 14:15, Mungo Carstairs (Staff) wrote:

I tried several ways but I am trying to launch the ‘launch desktop jalview’. When I open the .jnlp file, a window popup appears saying:

“It was not possible to run the application”

I attach some screenshots just in case it helps.

I also tried to launch the application using the applet but it does not work. It say that it is not possible. However, after several tries I was able to see some of the examples of jalview in the browser but not able to work with it.

Finally I also tried to download the program but when it is unzip it does not work either.

Hope this can help.

Thanks & Regards,
Toni

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr JB Procter, Jalview Coordinator, The Barton Group
Division of Computational Biology, College of Life Sciences
University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK.
+44 1382 388734 | [www.jalview.org](http://www.jalview.org) | [www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk](http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk) 
The University of Dundee is registered Scottish charity: No.SC015096

2015-01-28 13:04 GMT+01:00 Mungo Carstairs (Staff) <g.m.carstairs@dundee.ac.uk>:

​Hello Toni,

Thanks,

Mungo Carstairs
The Barton Group
College of Life Sciences
www.jalview.org
www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk

From: jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org <jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org> on behalf of Toni Aliaga <toali13@gmail.com>

Hi,

Can anyone help me?

Thanks & Regards,
Toni aliaga