Problem connecting to URLs

Hi,

I downloaded jalview webstart, install any where and development version via JBuilder.

running through webstart works perfectly fine but the other 2 cannot connect to any URLs, not even loading the example url.

I thought it should have something to do with the proxy setting because I use a proxy server. I know jalview set all its properties through

a properties file but the properties file for webstart is the same as the others that is no proxy file is set for webstart but it can load URLs.

I also tried to manually add the proxy server and the port to the properties file but still the problem is there.

Does any one know that why webstart can connect to URLs but the other 2 cannot?

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Elham,

Hello Elham.

I thought it should have something to do with the proxy setting because I use a proxy server.

ah. this is definitely the problem.

I also tried to manually add the proxy server and the port to the properties file but still the problem is there.

Did you try entering the information using the Proxy settings box in the preferences dialog ? This will ensure the URL is correctly parsed. Once you’ve set the proxy, press ‘OK’ and then shutdown and restart Jalview - this is necessary to reset any existing HTTP connections.

Does any one know that why webstart can connect to URLs but the other 2 cannot?

The Webstart system inherits its proxy settings from your browser. In that case, Jalview doesn’t touch the proxy config at all, and everything seems to work as normal. When you launch Jalview via installAnywhere or from the source code, Java doesn’t have any information about the proxy so you need to configure it yourself.

Jalview’s proxy support is very basic, and we haven’t tested it extensively. If you find that you cannot get the connection configured correctly then it would be useful if you could send me details of the proxy implementation and configuration that you have.

I hope this helps…
Jim.

···
-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------
J. B. Procter  (JALVIEW/ENFIN)  Barton Bioinformatics Research Group
Phone/Fax:+44(0)1382 388734/345764  [http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk](http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk)
The University of Dundee is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC015096.