Can't open Jalview

HI Pedro,

It is best to post this kind of question to the Jalview-discuss mailing list. I’ve copied it there so someone should pick it up and advise you.

I recommend you look at the videos on youtube that explain how to launch the Jalview application.

Geoff.

···

On 22/12/2015 01:38, Pedro Gonçalves wrote:

-- 
Geoff Barton | Professor of Bioinformatics | Head of Division of Computational Biology   
School of Life Sciences | University of Dundee, Scotland, UK | [g.j.barton@dundee.ac.uk](mailto:g.j.barton@dundee.ac.uk) 
Tel: +44 1382 385860 | [www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk](http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk) | twitter: @gjbarton

The University of Dundee is registered Scottish charity: No.SC015096 

Hello Pedro,

What version of OSX operating system and Java (type “java -version” in a terminal window) are you running?

Are you able to open a terminal window in the Jalview installation directory (typically /Applications/Jalview/Jalview.app/Contents/MacOS) and run it directly with

./Jalview

and if so do you see any error messages in the terminal window?

Thanks,

Mungo

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096

···

Mungo Carstairs
Jalview Computational Scientist
The Barton Group
Division of Computational Biology
School of Life Sciences
University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, UK.
www.jalview.org
www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk

From: jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org on behalf of Geoff Barton gjbarton@dundee.ac.uk
Sent: 22 December 2015 13:41
To: Pedro Gonçalves; Jalview-discuss@jalview.org
Subject: Re: [Jalview-discuss] Can’t open Jalview

HI Pedro,

It is best to post this kind of question to the Jalview-discuss mailing list. I’ve copied it there so someone should pick it up and advise you.

I recommend you look at the videos on youtube that explain how to launch the Jalview application.

Geoff.

Dear Dr. Barton,
I’ve tried to download Jalview to my computer but I’m not able to launch the program. When I open it, I see the icon appearing on my Dock (I’m on a Mac) but the program doesn’t open.
Can you please forward this issue to the technical support?
Best wishes.
Pedro.

-- 
Geoff Barton | Professor of Bioinformatics | Head of Division of Computational Biology   
School of Life Sciences | University of Dundee, Scotland, UK | [g.j.barton@dundee.ac.uk](mailto:g.j.barton@dundee.ac.uk) 
Tel: +44 1382 385860 | [www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk](http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk) | twitter: @gjbarton

Hello Pedro,

You have hit a known problem with Jalview on OSX Lion (10.7.x), see http://issues.jalview.org/browse/JAL-1981.

We will patch for this in the next release of Jalview. In the meantime your options are either to upgrade to a later version of OSX, or to revert to Jalview 2.8.2 (available at http://www.jalview.org/development/Version-Archive). However please note you may not be able to open a Jalview project saved from the latest version (depending on the data stored).

Apologies for any inconvenience!

Best regards and happy holidays,

Mungo

···

Mungo Carstairs
The Barton Group
School of Life Sciences
www.jalview.org
www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk

Sent: 22 December 2015 18:19
To: Mungo Carstairs (Staff)

Hello Mungo,

java version “1.6.0_65”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

Mac OSX 10.7.5

This is the error that I get:
Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)

Stack Trace:
java.lang.InternalError: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ch.randelshofer.quaqua.subset.QuaquaLionFileChooserLAF
at ch.randelshofer.quaqua.QuaquaManager.getLookAndFeel(QuaquaManager.java:516)
at jalview.bin.Jalview.main(Jalview.java:188)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:483)
at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(Unknown Source)
This Application has Unexpectedly Quit: Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)

Thanks,

Pedro.

2015-12-22 6:19 GMT-08:00 Mungo Carstairs (Staff) <g.m.carstairs@dundee.ac.uk>:

Hello Pedro,

What version of OSX operating system and Java (type “java -version” in a terminal window) are you running?

Are you able to open a terminal window in the Jalview installation directory (typically /Applications/Jalview/Jalview.app/Contents/MacOS) and run it directly with

./Jalview

and if so do you see any error messages in the terminal window?

Thanks,

Mungo

Mungo Carstairs
The Barton Group
School of Life Sciences
www.jalview.org
www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk

From: jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org <jalview-discuss-bounces@jalview.org> on behalf of Geoff Barton <gjbarton@dundee.ac.uk>
Sent: 22 December 2015 13:41
To: Pedro Gonçalves; Jalview-discuss@jalview.org

HI Pedro,

Geoff.

Dear Dr. Barton,
I’ve tried to download Jalview to my computer but I’m not able to launch the program. When I open it, I see the icon appearing on my Dock (I’m on a Mac) but the program doesn’t open.
Can you please forward this issue to the technical support?
Best wishes.
Pedro.

--